California ex-mayor admits acting as agent of China, US authorities say | Crime News

0

Ex-mayor of wealthy Los Angeles suburb promoted pro-China propaganda at behest of Chinese officials, prosecutors say.

The former mayor of a wealthy suburb in the United States city of Los Angeles has admitted to acting as an illegal agent of China, according to authorities.

Eileen Wang, the former mayor of Arcadia, agreed to plead guilty to one count of acting as an illegal agent of a foreign government from late 2020 until 2022, the US Department of Justice said on Monday.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

Wang admitted that she did not notify the US government that she was acting on behalf of China while promoting pro-Beijing propaganda, the Justice Department said.

Wang, 58, operated a website, called the US News Center, that published content supportive of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) while purporting to provide news for Chinese Americans, the department said.

Wang ran the site with Yaoning Sun, a Californian man who was sentenced to four years in prison after pleading guilty to acting as an illegal agent of a foreign government in October 2025, according to US prosecutors.

Wang’s activities included republishing a “PRC official-written essay” that denied allegations that the Chinese government was committing genocide against ethnic-minority Uighurs in its far-western region of Xinjiang, according to prosecutors.

Wang resigned as mayor on Monday, according to a statement published on the City of Arcadia’s website.

She faces a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.

Her lawyers, Brian A Sun and Jason Liang, said Wang wished to apologise for “mistakes she has made in her personal life”.

“It is important to note, however, that the conduct underlying the information and the agreement with the government relates solely to Ms. Wang’s personal life – i.e., a media platform that she once operated with someone whom she believed to be her fiancé – and not to her conduct as an elected public official,” Sun and Liang said in a statement.

“Her love and devotion for the Arcadia community have not changed and did not waver,” they added.

“She asks for the community’s understanding and continued support.”

US Assistant Attorney General for National Security John A Eisenberg issued a statement expressing deep concern over Wang’s activities.

“Individuals elected to public office in the United States should act only for the people of the United States that they represent,” he said.

“It is deeply concerning that someone who previously received and executed directives from PRC government officials is now in a position of public trust at all, but particularly so because that relationship with that foreign government had never been disclosed.”

China’s embassy in Washington, DC, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Wang’s prosecution comes as US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping are set to meet in Beijing on Wednesday for a summit expected to focus on the US-Israel war on Iran, trade, and the status of Taiwan, among other issues.

The summit comes after the two leaders agreed to a yearlong pause in their trade war during a meeting in South Korea last October.



Source link

Ipl 2026: This former cricketer asked MI to remove Hardik from captaincy, advised to hand over the command to Bumrah – Mumbai Indians Asked To Replace Hardik Pandya With Jasprit Bumrah As Captain Ipl 2026

0

The IPL 2026 season of five-time champions Mumbai Indians was very disappointing. The team is out of the race for the playoffs and the defeat against Royal Challengers Bangalore on the last ball completely dashed their hopes. Mumbai has won only three matches so far this season, after which questions are being raised on the strategy and leadership abilities of captain Hardik Pandya.

Manjrekar gave a big statement
Former Indian cricketer Sanjay Manjrekar openly said that Mumbai Indians now need to think beyond Hardik Pandya. He advised the franchise to make Jasprit Bumrah the captain. Manjrekar said, ‘I want to see Bumrah as captain, because very few people understand the game as much as he does.’ Praising Bumrah, he said that his bowling is not just based on action, but he reads the batsman, the pitch and the match situation brilliantly.

Mumbai Indians Asked To Replace Hardik Pandya With Jasprit Bumrah As Captain IPL 2026

Sanjay Manjrekar – Photo: BCCI

Why do you want to make Bumrah the captain?
Manjrekar believes that Bumrah has leadership potential and he should get a chance in the IPL. He said, ‘Hopefully he should get a chance to captain at least in the Indian Premier League.’ He also believed that IPL captaincy will be less burdensome for Bumrah compared to Test captaincy, because there is a different level of fitness pressure.

Talk about ‘package deal’ with Hardik
Manjrekar also questioned the decision of Mumbai Indians when the team included Hardik Pandya back by trading him. He said that coach Ashish Nehra also played a big role in Hardik’s success in Gujarat Titans. He said, ‘If Hardik was going to come to Mumbai, then Ashish Nehra should have also been brought along with him. It should have been like a package deal. This statement indicates that Hardik did not get the right support system, due to which he could not make the same impact as captain.

Mumbai Indians Asked To Replace Hardik Pandya With Jasprit Bumrah As Captain IPL 2026

Hardik and Bumrah – Photo: ANI

Increasing criticism on Hardik
Hardik Pandya’s captaincy was constantly targeted by fans and cricket experts this season. Questions were raised many times on team selection, bowling changes and decisions taken under pressure. Although Hardik is a great all-rounder, this season has proved difficult for him as captain.

Will Mumbai Indians take a big decision?
Mumbai Indians has always been a team that takes big decisions. In such a situation, before the next season, the team management can seriously think about the captaincy. Jasprit Bumrah has been the most reliable player of the team for a long time and he also has a lot of experience. If Mumbai makes a change, it could be the beginning of a new era for the franchise. After the poor performance in IPL 2026, the captaincy of Mumbai Indians has become a big topic of discussion. Sanjay Manjrekar’s advice has further intensified the debate. Now it will be interesting to see whether the team continues to trust Hardik or gives new responsibility to Bumrah.

The Bonus Market Update: The trend of weakness in the stock market continues; Sensex fell 500 points, Nifty slipped from 23700 – Sensex Closing Bell Share Market Closing Sensex Nifty Share Market News And Updates

0

The process of selling continues in the domestic stock market. After Monday’s fall, major benchmark indices were seen trading in the red on Tuesday. In early trade, Sensex fell 525.44 points to 75,489.84, while Nifty fell 164.5 points to 23,651.35. Infosys and Asian Paints fell by up to 3% in early trade.



The Indian stock market witnessed a huge decline in early trade on Tuesday due to deepening geopolitical tensions in West Asia and rising crude oil prices. The continuous withdrawal of foreign funds and the crisis over peace talks between America and Iran have weakened the confidence of investors.

Market condition: Sensex and Nifty boom

In early trade on Tuesday, the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) Sensex plunged 525.44 points to 75,489.84. Similarly, the Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) slipped 164.5 points to 23,651.35. Earlier on Monday too, huge chaos was seen in the market, when Sensex closed with a huge loss of 1,312.91 points and Nifty closed with a huge loss of 360.30 points.


The rupee fell 35 paise to a record low of 95.63 against the US dollar in early trade on Tuesday after US President Donald Trump threatened to compromise the ceasefire with Iran and dashed hopes of a deal, leading to a surge in crude oil prices.

Main reasons for the decline: Trump’s statement and expensive crude

Crude oil prices and global tensions are mainly responsible for this decline:

  • Boiling in Crude Oil: In the international market, Brent crude oil has reached a high of $ 105.2 per barrel with a jump of 0.93 percent.
  • Trump rejected peace proposal: US President Donald Trump has rejected Iran’s peace proposal, calling it garbage. Trump has said that the ceasefire is at its weakest level and is now on life support.
  • Selling by foreign investors: Increasing pressure on the market, foreign institutional investors made huge sales of shares worth Rs 8,437.56 crore on Monday.

According to Ponmudi R, CEO of Enrich Money, the ongoing US-Iran conflict is affecting global sentiment, leading to reduced risk appetite and high volatility in the stock market.

Sectoral impact: Tech stocks suffer the most

Among the 30 major Sensex companies, the biggest decline was seen in IT and financial stocks. TCS, Infosys, Tech Mahindra, HCL Tech, Adani Ports and Bajaj Finserv were the biggest losers. On the other hand, amid this all-round decline, shares of Bharti Airtel and NTPC gained and gave minor relief to the investors.

trend of global markets

A mixed trend was seen in Asian markets. South Korea’s Kospi and Shanghai’s composite index were trading in the red with losses. In contrast, Japan’s Nikkei 225 and Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index were in the lead. US markets closed in positive territory on Monday.

Experts believe that until a clear picture of the end of the conflict in West Asia emerges, there will be uncertainty in the minds of investors. The duration of the conflict and rising crude oil prices will play an important role in determining the direction of the market in the times to come.

Bolivia issues warrant for Evo Morales’s arrest after court no-show | Evo Morales News

0

The ex-Bolivian president is on trial for allegedly fathering a child with a 15-year-old girl while in office.

A Bolivian judge has found former President Evo Morales in contempt of court and reissued a warrant for his arrest after he failed to turn up for the start of his trial on charges of trafficking a minor.

The ruling on Monday renewed tensions in the South American country, with supporters of Morales warning they would “throw the country into turmoil” if the former leader is arrested.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

Morales, who is Bolivia’s first Indigenous president, is accused of fathering a child with a 15-year-old girl while in office. The parents of the teen are accused of consenting to the relationship in exchange for favours from Morales.

The former socialist leader, who governed from 2006 to 2019, has rejected the accusations.

Morales did not attend the scheduled start of his trial on Monday in the southern city of Tarija, forcing the proceedings to be suspended.

The Public Prosecutor’s Office said Morales’s “unjustified absence” confirmed his fugitive status and warranted an arrest order as well as a travel ban.

The former president has been hiding from the law in his central coca-growing stronghold of Chapare since late 2024, guarded by Indigenous supporters who have promised to resist any attempt to capture him.

‘Ready for battle’

“They think that by arresting Evo Morales, they will succeed in quelling and demobilising the movement. They are very much mistaken,” supporter Dieter Mendoza said on Kawsachun Coca radio on Monday. “If they touch Evo Morales, this will cause an upheaval … There will be an insurgency across Bolivia.”

Mendoza urged residents of the Cochabamba Tropics to remain on “high alert” and “ready for battle”.

Authorities first issued an arrest warrant for Morales in October 2024, but could not execute it after his supporters blocked roads for 24 days, preventing officers from reaching the region where he remains sheltered.

Morales was already declared in contempt of court in January 2025, when he did not show for a pretrial detention hearing.

Wilfredo Chavez, one of his lawyers, told the AFP news agency on Friday that neither Morales nor his lawyers would show up in court, as they had not been “properly notified”.  The lawyer said the court did not send the summons to Morales’s address, but had instead served it through an edict.

Morales, who rose from dire poverty to become one of Latin America’s longest-serving leaders, has slammed those “that persecute me and condemn me in record time”.

His refusal to give up power in 2019 after three terms led to a tumultuous exit that cast a shadow over nearly 14 years of economic progress and poverty reduction.

Forced to resign after elections tainted by fraud, he slipped away into exile in Mexico and later Argentina, but returned home a year later.

He failed to make a comeback last year after being barred from seeking a fourth term in presidential elections.



Source link

Lebanese in south refuse to flee again despite escalating Israeli strikes | Israel attacks Lebanon

0

NewsFeed

Al Jazeera’s Obaida Hitto reports from southern Lebanon, where displaced residents say they will not leave again despite a sharp rise in deaths and intensifying Israeli strikes.



Source link

Access Denied

0

Access Denied You don’t have permission to access “http://hindi.gadgets360.com/mobiles/oneplus-nord-ce6-lite-vs-poco-m8-5g-vs-nothing-phone-3a-lite-5g-know-which-is-best-news-11481891” on this server.

Reference #18.480dde17.1778558348.3563dfe9

https://errors.edgesuite.net/18.480dde17.1778558348.3563dfe9

Access Denied

0

Access Denied You don’t have permission to access “http://hindi.news18.com/news/ajab-gajab/off-beat-newly-wed-couple-to-take-7-vows-over-burning-embers-before-enters-in-home-local18-10467358.html” on this server.

Reference #18.490dde17.1778559049.361ea68b

https://errors.edgesuite.net/18.490dde17.1778559049.361ea68b

Big action of Vijay government in Tamil Nadu: 717 liquor shops near schools and places of worship will be closed, order issued – Tamil Nadu Cm C Joseph Vijay Orders Closure Of 717 Tasmac Liquor Shops Near Public Places

0

With the formation of the new government in Tamil Nadu, Chief Minister C Joseph Vijay has started strict action. He on Tuesday ordered officials to close 717 liquor shops across the state. All these shops come within a radius of 500 meters of places of worship, educational institutions and bus stands. The Chief Minister has directed to close these shops within the next two weeks.



According to the state government, Tamil Nadu State Marketing Corporation (TASMAC) currently runs 4,765 liquor shops across Tamil Nadu. After receiving instructions from the Chief Minister, officials conducted a special survey in the entire state. The purpose of this investigation was to identify those shops which were running very close to places of worship, schools, colleges and bus stands.

Also read: Palaniswami in trouble: Split in AIADMK after election defeat? Party members seen in two groups at swearing in

During the survey, officials found that 276 liquor shops were located near places of worship. Apart from this, 186 shops were found near schools and colleges, while 255 shops were found near bus stands. Thus, a total of 717 shops have been identified for closure.

Officials said that the main objective of this step is to keep strict control on liquor shops. The public had been expressing concern for a long time about liquor shops near public and sensitive places. This decision of the government will resolve these complaints of the people and ensure safety and discipline in public places.

Other videos-

T20 League: Indians shine in Europe’s new T20 league; Rahul Dravid buys Dublin franchise in Etpl, Ravichandran Ashwin named captain

0

Rahul Dravid Buys Dublin Franchise In ETPL, Ravichandran Ashwin Named Captain

Ashwin and Dravid – Photo: ANI

Expansion

Indian cricket legend Rahul Dravid was on Monday announced as the owner of European T20 Premier League (ETPL) Dublin franchise Dublin Guardians. On this occasion, Dravid said that his aim is not just to buy a team but to contribute to the development of cricket in Europe. Dravid said, ‘I was attracted by the big vision of ETPL. This is a great opportunity to strengthen cricket in Europe, develop grassroots level and create pathways for new players.



He further said, ‘There is tremendous passion for cricket in Dublin and there is immense potential for progress here. Preparing the next generation has always been important to me. I am confident that ETPL can play a big role in this journey.

Q4 Results 12th May Live: Tata Power, Dr Reddy’s, Torrent Power, Dixon Tech, Max Financial, Berger Paints, Pfizer, Sagility, MTAR Tech, V-Guard, Inox India, Nazara, Texmaco Rail to announce Q4 results, Canara Bank, JSW Energy, PVR Inox, Nuvama, UPL, JBM Auto shares in focus

0

SWIGGY LTD Q4FY26 CONCALL HIGHLIGHTS

#Q4FY26

🔹 MANAGEMENT COMMENTARY

* Focus shifted towards differentiated offerings

* Quick commerce margins improved sharply

* Painful growth cuts improved business quality

* Low-value customers intentionally churned

* Premium product upgrades driving stickiness

* Profitability remained top strategic priority

🔹 FUTURE OUTLOOK

* Quick commerce GOV targets ₹1 Trillion

* Food delivery growth guided 18–20%

* Quick commerce nearing CM breakeven

* Capex expected to moderate significantly

* Operating leverage expected improving ahead

* Warehousing expansion phase largely completed

🔹INDUSTRY TRENDS

* Consumers increasingly prefer premium products.

* LPG crisis slightly increased restaurant pricing.

* Quick commerce spending remained elevated

* Competitive intensity stayed very aggressive

* Market structure expected to gradually mature

* Operating leverage improving across the industry

🔹 COMPETITIVE POSITIONING

* Premium positioning differentiated Swiggy strongly

* Focus remained on sustainable profitability

* Refused irrational discounting competition

*Staying power prioritized over market share

* Assortment strategy strengthened retention

* Contribution margins outperformed several peers

🔹RISKS & CONCERNS

* Low-value customer churn still continuing

* Customer acquisition costs remained elevated

* Toying initiative remained experimental phase

* Competitive intensity impacted MTU growth

* Negative operating cash flow remained high

* Subsidy-focused users continued migrating away

🔹 GROWTH DRIVERS

* Noise brand improved customer stickiness

* Incentives shifted towards structural investments

* Store densification improving operating leverage

* Non-grocery mix expanded significantly

* Existing network utilization improved sharply

* Premium staples boosted repeat purchases

🔹 PRODUCT MIX TRENDS

* Low-value orders reduced significantly

* Non-grocery contribution crossed 30%

* Premium assortments driving higher margins

* Eat-right initiatives expanding gradually

* Nighttime formats targeting niche demand

* NOV-to-GOV ratio improved structurally

🔹 FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS

* Quick commerce CM reached -1.1%

* MTUs increased despite stable store count

* Quarterly capex stood at ₹195 Cr

* Margin trajectory improved sequentially

* Warehousing investments reduced logistics costs

* Contribution margins improved substantially annually

🔹KEY TAKEAWAYS

* Shift towards quality-focused growth visible

* Profitability discipline remained strong focus

* Differentiation strategy gaining traction steadily

* Customer retention improving structurally

* Competitive environment remains challenging

* Long-term GOV ambitions stayed aggressive