
Fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya, who is facing several cases of fraud and money laundering in India, argued in the Bombay High Court on Wednesday that he cannot give a timeline for his return home because the court there has imposed a legal ban on him leaving Britain.
Mallya, through his lawyer Amit Desai, told the High Court that his passport has been canceled, so he does not have this important document for travel. He said that he cannot give a definite date for his return to India for this reason. The statement came after a bench of Chief Justice Chandrashekhar and Justice Gautam Ankhar made it clear last week that they would not hear Mallya’s plea against the order declaring him a fugitive economic offender until he returns to India.
The High Court had asked Mallya to clearly tell when he would return to India. Mallya’s statement, read out in court by his lawyer, said Mallya is not allowed to leave or attempt to leave England and Wales, apply for or possess any international travel document. In any case, the petitioner is unable to clearly state when he will return to India.
Mallya fled the country in 2016
Mallya fled India in March 2016 and has been living in Britain since then. Mallya has filed two petitions in the High Court, one challenging the order declaring him a fugitive economic offender and the other questioning the constitutional validity of the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act. The 70-year-old liquor businessman is accused of non-payment of loans worth several thousand crores and is also accused of money laundering. In January 2019, a special court, hearing the case under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, had declared Mallya a fugitive economic offender.