Trump once endorsed the US-Canada bridge he’s now railing against – US politics live | US news


In 2017, Trump endorsed US-Canada bridge he now rails against

US-Canada relations were further shaken on Monday by a 299-word diatribe from Donald Trump, in which he threatened to block the opening of a multibillion-dollar binational bridge, connecting Windsor and Detroit, which the president claimed his predecessor, Barack Obama had “stupidly” approved.

What Trump failed to explain to loyal readers of his social media platform is that he himself had publicly endorsed the bridge project in 2017, before construction began, in public comments and a joint statement issued by him and the then prime minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau.

“No two countries share deeper or broader relations than Canada and the United States,” the joint statement issued on 13 February 2017 read.

“Given our shared focus on infrastructure investments, we will encourage opportunities for companies in both countries to create jobs through those investments. In particular, we look forward to the expeditious completion of the Gordie Howe International Bridge, which will serve as a vital economic link between our two countries,” Trump and Trudeau said after their first meeting that day.

“Prime Minister, I pledge to work with you in pursuit of our many shared interests,” Trump said that day. “America is deeply fortunate to have a neighbor like Canada. We have before us the opportunity to build even more bridges, and bridges of cooperation and bridges of commerce.”

In his post on Monday, Trump told Americans they should be outraged that “Canada is building a massive bridge between Ontario and Michigan. They own both the Canada and the United States side.”

In fact, Canada’s public broadcaster CBC reported in 2017, “the Canadian government agreed to pay for all construction costs, including $250m for the inspection plaza on the American side of the river, with a plan to recoup the costs through tolls” due to the importance of trade between the two nations.

At the time, almost one quarter of all goods moving between the two countries passed over the existing, privately owned Ambassador bridge or a tunnel connecting Detroit and Windsor.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

Closing summary

This is the end of our live coverage of the second Trump administration for the day, but we will be back on Tuesday. Here are the latest developments:

  • Donald Trump threatened to block a new bridge connecting the US and Canada he supported in 2017 and made the bizarre false claim that increased trade between Canada and China would include a total ban on Canadians playing ice hockey.

  • The Miami Herald reported that one partially redacted Epstein files document includes an account of a 2006 phone call in which Trump told the Palm Beach police chief that “everyone has known” Jeffrey Epstein was abusing girls and Ghislaine Maxwell ‘“is evil”. Trump now says he had no idea Epstein was abusing girls and wishes Maxwell well.

  • An immigration judge rejected the Trump administration’s efforts to deport Tufts University doctoral student Rümeysa Öztürk, who was arrested last year as part of a crackdown on pro-Palestinian campus activists, her lawyers said in a statement.

  • The US military’s Southern Command, which oversees operations in Latin America and the Caribbean, announced it carried out another deadly strike on Monday, killing two suspected drug smugglers in the eastern Pacific.

  • A federal judge in California issued a preliminary injunction that blocks part of a new state law that bans federal law enforcement officers from covering their faces.



Source link